Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 1 or Day 197 ?

You tell me!  Well this is day 1 of this blog and not really the first day of my training so far.  I have been training for several years now; not just for this race but for many races (i.e. the Philly Stair Climb, the Metro Dash, Various 5ks, etc.).  But there is a 197 days till the Death Race.  So here is the skinny on what this is and what I am planning on doing.

So I have recently recovered from a broken ankle which I acquired at my last fitness competition in August 2010 called the Metro Dash.  Mind you I was on pace to finish as a Champion that day but 400 meters from the finish those hopes were all but dashed when I came down wrong on my right ankle and snapped the bottom of my fibula.  Yes we all heard it the sound that day.  Many of you even remember my oh so happy go . . . feel good state I was in upon returning that day.

As my girlfriend Laura puts it, "Ever since that damn Metro Dash and your ankle breaking you have developed some kind of ridiculous complex where you need to prove something to yourself by doing these insanely stupid races!"  I paraphrased as there were many more curses tucked away in that lovely address she gave me the morning I told her I was doing this.

Laura my response to you is and I quote the guy from our recent Wyoming trip when I ran down the canyon side too a landing 600' below and then back up:

Random Guy:  "Wow do you know that guy?"
Laura:  (monotone voice afraid to admit it)  "yessss, he's my boyfriend"
Random Guy:  "Well he may not live long but he will definitely be fun to be around!"

So the challenge is both physical and mental.  It is meant to break us in every way.  To learn more about the challenge check out the link, Vermont Death Race, or read this POST of a guy who finished once before.

I will be headed up to Vermont with my coworkers Brett Delucca, Timothy Moore and friend Reed Costello.  Check back frequently for posts on my day to day training and some other good shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment